1. Behind the scenes fundamentals of film: Foley sound effects
2. Experiencing the use of sound: watch clips from Saturday Night Fever, Apocalypse Now and Down With Love to answer questions.
3. BLOG POST (in-class assignment - Experiencing Sound): Find your own example of a scene from a film clip on YouTube and answer the question, "How does the sound design, including dialogue, sound effects and/or music influence the effectiveness of the scene." Embed the film clip into your blog post and answer the question specifically.
OPTIONAL EXTRA CREDIT
- See a film at the St. Louis International Film Festival
- Bring in an original (not copy) of the ticket stub.
- Write a mini-review of the film that covers at least the basics of a film review and add this to your blog.
- Earn 20 points per film, with no limit!
- Finish your blog post/in-class assignment on experiencing sound.
- Read chapter six in Movies and Meaning, pages 196-214.